Interview tips from a professional career coach
One of the greatest skills you can learn is how to perform under pressure in interviews; give solid answers to potentially daunting questions. Good interview technique is something a professional career coach will teach you, but to be truly confident in your responses, you need to be prepared and armed with research.
Over the years, I’ve coached clients from executive director to call centre agent, and although this may surprise you, there are some pearls of wisdom which apply across the board.
My video “Interviewing for Success” gives you an inside perspective on what recruiters and employers will be looking for, so you can say the right thing, at the right time, in the right way.
Know your story
- What are you telling and selling?
- “Tell me about yourself…”
Think of the audience
- Do you match what the recruiter wants?
- Think about how your skills fit their needs
Remember the purpose of the interview
- They want to see if you fit with them; you want to see if they fit with you
- Can you actually do the job?
- Will you do the job properly?
Prepare, prepare, prepare
- Learn about the organisation
- Study both the company website and unofficial sources such as social media and review sites
- Learn about its challenges, its rivals, products and services
- Understand what’s required for the job, and be prepared to provide evidence of your competency
- Use STAR - Situation Task Action Result - to structure your answers
On the day:
- Arrive early
- Expect to be assessed even outside the interview room
- Make a positive and professional first impression
- Build rapport
- Don’t get defensive
- Sit up straight
- Eye contact
- Look the part
Types of interview questions
- Common questions
- Strengths-based questions
- Competency questions (use STAR)
After the interview:
- Ask for feedback
- Send a thank you email to the interviewer
- Review your interview performance with a career coach or objective friend/family member
Practice your interview skills with me
I’d love to meet you, whether by Skype or in person at my office in Pangbourne (near Reading) in Berkshire. Together, we can build your interview confidence and equip you with techniques to ensure you stand out to the interviewer, and hopefully, land the job you really want!